Position Available: Education and Research Group of Leave No Trace Ireland
7th March 2023:
Leave No Trace Ireland is looking for experienced applicants who should demonstrate and possess the Leave No Trace related skills, experience and expertise required for the continued enhancement of the Leave No Trace programme. A conservation-focused, enthusiastic, outdoor mindset will be expected so that the ERG can take a comprehensive view of the Leave No Trace programme and its many components. In addition to a deep commitment to Leave No Trace, ERG members must also have a commitment to the organisation and its mission and goals.
Duration: 3 years
Empowering environmental stewardship and responsible recreation across the island of Ireland that is in harmony with our shared outdoor heritage through:
- Advocating for sustainable enjoyment of the outdoors.
- Educating environmental stewards.
- Actions grounded in research.
- Engagement in environmental projects.
- Partnerships with stakeholders.
Inspiring ethical outdoor recreation
About Leave No Trace Ireland:
This member driven organisation teaches people of all ages how to enjoy the outdoors responsibly and is the most widely accepted outdoor ethics programme in Ireland.
Broadening Our Impact:
Leave No Trace Ireland is at an incredibly exciting juncture in its development with considerable interest in bringing the Leave No trace Ireland model to all stakeholders and groups interested in outdoor recreation in Ireland with an interest in protecting Ireland’s natural environment. To help us reach this next level and broaden our impact considerably, we are looking to expand our Education and Research Group.
Current Subgroup: There are currently nine members on the Education and Research Group of Leave No Trace Ireland.
Roles & Responsibilities of the Education & Research Group
The ERG will strive to have a robust membership of experts from numerous fields that share a goal of ensuring the high quality of Leave No Trace education, training and research. Members of the ERG will be called upon at various times to engage in ERG activities based on their stated expertise, and will be expected to fully participate in any review processes to which they are assigned. In this way it will serve as a peer review process, much like processes used by scientific and academic journals.
Leave No Trace Ireland will delegate certain decision-making responsibilities to the ERG on issues related to Leave No Trace Ireland education, training and research. Policy issues will be referred to the Leave No Trace Board of Directors for action and approval. The ERG is expected to take a leading advisory role in the following areas:
- Oversight of Leave No Trace education and training standards and guidelines.
- Research involving Leave No Trace practices, recreation-related impact and efficacy of Leave No Trace efforts in Ireland.
- Review of existing Leave No Trace practices, techniques and to make recommendations to ensure they are consistent with best practices, science‐based and in line with Leave No Trace Ireland policies.
- Development of new Leave No Trace resources to meet specific resource or recreation needs.
- Identification of emerging Leave No Trace issues, audiences and educational opportunities.
Member Skills & Expertise
ERG members should demonstrate and possess the Leave No Trace related skills, experience and expertise required for the continued enhancement of the Leave No Trace programme. A conservation-focused, enthusiastic, outdoor mind-set will be expected so that the ERG can take a comprehensive view of the Leave No Trace programme and its many components. In addition to a deep commitment to Leave No Trace, ERG members must also have a commitment to the organisation and its mission and goals.
Following a skills audit, the following skills have been listed as relevant for the ERG group:
We are looking for an exceptional individual:
- Who has experience at with the skills listed above.
- Who is passionately interested in the questions that Leave No Trace raises and the solutions we offer.
- Who has ethical ethos and empathy. Who is trustworthy, has vision and high standards.
To apply: Please send an expression of interest with your CV to the Company Secretary ([email protected])